Pigfarts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching America

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Watching America Empty Watching America

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Ari sat curled up on her sofa, flicking through the channels on the television with a sigh as she fluffed up her hair. She should really have called her brother or written her next article, but she couldn't be bothered. All she wanted to do was sit and watch Gavin and Stacey.

She heard the front door open and she sighed, tilting her head to the side. "Liz, is that you? Or is it Mel?" She waited for a reply, and instead returned to her viewing. If it was a burglar they could let themselves back out. Nothing would make her move right now.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Watching America Empty Re: Watching America

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 pm

He couldn't stand it. He had been trying to get the spell right for ages, but it really wasn't working. Melanie wasn't home, he wasn't able to call his parents either, so the last person he was able to go to was Ari. He needed to get this spell right, because if he didn't, he wouldn't be able to finish his essay on what were the causes of it on particular objects. And if he didn't finish his essay this week, he would have to work on it next week, and then he wouldn't finish next weeks work and then he wouldn't finish all his work before the holiday ended.

Matthew groaned softly as he climbed off the couch and made his way to the fireplace. He didn't dare to floo right into Ari's house, so he floo'd to the pub nearby instead. All the people there made him nervous, but at least he got out quickly.

The walk from there to her house wasn't long, and Matt used his key to open the door. He would have preferred ringing the bell, but he had been told numerous times to just come inside. He nervously stepped inside and nearly jumped when he heard a voice calling out. He hadn't seen Ari in quite some time, possibly because ever since last year, the woman's presence made him jumpy and nervous and she made him blush all the time.

Matthew just couldn't quite figure out why.

"No its n-not Mel or L-Liz, it's me, M-Matthew," he called out, cursing his stutter as he stumbled over pronouncing his own name. "Am I in-interr-interrupting s-something?" he added, biting his lip as he still stood next to the front door.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Matthew? Ari grinned. "Enter, dear Matthew," she called, flicking the television onto standby and curling into the corner of the couch, making room for him to sit down.

"Yes, you're interrupting great sloth at the moment," Ari told him, pulling the sleeves of her jumper down. "And actually, several other deadly sins such as gluttony and lust after Gavin, who is also played by a Mathew. So, it's probably good you called." She smiled widely and offered him a chocolate from a bowl on the nearby cabinet.

"Do you want a beer or something? You are old enough for beer, right?" she clarified quickly. "And can I help you with something?"
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Matthew closed the front door quietly and then made his way into the living room, nervously playing with the hem of his shirt. He sat down on the couch where she made room for him. He wasn't quite sure what she was talking about, but he just nodded. He thought she was talking about a television show, but Matthew didn't watch much television, so he couldn't be certain.

"I knew I p-probably should have c-called first. I'm sorry for you know, p-pop-popping in like this," he told her, watching as she got up to get him a drink. He wanted to protest, but she was already standing, and it seemed rude to tell her now. He grabbed a chocolate from the bowl she held out to him and turned it in his hands.

"Beer is f-fine," he told her, despite the fact that he never really drank the stuff. "I, uhm, I w-wanted to ask you, if y-you could may-maybe help me. W-with this s-spell... Mel is out and I d-don't r-really have s-someone else to ask.." he stammered nervously.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Ari nodded and stood up, moving into the kitchen area to grab two beers from the fridge and chucking one at Matthew. She cracked hers open and took a sip, nodding as he spoke. "Oh, cool, sure, I'm happy to help."

She returned to the sofa, sitting down next to him, and grinned. "Which spell is it though? I can't promise I'll be very helpful. I seem to remember distinctly sucking at spells I'm rusty with. I might end up blowing us up or something." She rolled her eyes and took another sip.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm

He caught the can thrown at him clumsily. Sometimes he wished he was good at sports, but he never really had hand-eye coordination. He wondered if his sisters had it, or William, he never really asked them. He was quite certain William played Quidditch at Hogwarts though. Matthew wasn't very sure how you played the sport, but it was a sport, you couldn't be a complete klutz if you wanted to play it.

He opened the can and took a sip, nearly choking as the liquid made its way down his throat. Now he remembered why he never drank it, it tasted foul.

Ari sat down next to him, and Matthew felt his nerves intensify. He swallowed and coughed before opening his mouth to explain the spell. "Its o-okay, wouldn't w-want you blowing up your h-house or anything," he told her, taking his wand and twirling it in his hands. "It's incendio, I have to m-make an e-essay on its effect on d-di-different things. But I c-can't get the s-spell to w-work. All I m-manage is this l-little c-cloud of smoke.." he muttered, staring pitifully into his lap.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Ari giggled as he choked on the beer. "Careful, mate," she told him. "Here, watch this." She pinched her nose and started swallowing fast, before throwing her can onto the carpet. "Don't try that at home. But that's how I win drinking competitions. Like a boss." She grinned.

"Incendio? Oh awesome, I can do that one." She pulled him to his feet and picked the can up, throwing it into the waste paper bin. "Try and light this one." She put her hand on his arm, training his wand to point straight at the can, other hand resting on his back. "Concentrate, and think about something hot. Like um, a candle, for instance." She smiled, and turned her head to watch.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Matthew's eyes widened as Ari chugged down her entire can in one go. He had to admire her doing it, he didn't think he would be able to do it. Before he could take another sip from his own drink, she was pulling him off the couch. He quickly placed his can on the table.

His cheeks flared bright red as she placed her hand on his arm. Merlin, what was happening to him? Why couldn't he just allow her to help him like a normal person. He swallowed and nodded, pointing his wand at the bin like instructed. Though when he tried to cast the spell, the word came out slurred and just like expected, only a cloud of dull grey smoke erupted from his wand.

"I c-can't d-do it!" he muttered angrily.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Ari laughed, moving her hand to cover his and tighten it around his wand. "You're not gripping tight enough. Straighten your arm right out." She smiled. "I guess you just proved 'there's no smoke without fire' wrong," she said, nudging him playfully.

She straightened his arm out fully and took his shoulders, turning him so that he was facing it sideways on, before turning his chin round to follow his arm. "Right. Try now. And make sure you say it clearly," she told him softly.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Matthew felt his cheeks redden even more when Ari got even bolder, steering him in the right direction. The second he felt her hand on his chin, his eyes widened and he quickly turned his head away so she couldn't see. He swallowed and tightened his grip on his wand.

There was probably something wrong with him.

He tried to focus on the can. The can and candles. Hot candles. Hot candles like his cheeks. He pointed his wand it and spoke the words again. This time he did manage to lit something on fire. But it wasn't the can.

No, he managed to set the curtain on fire instead.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm

"Shit!" Ari swore, laughing, as she ran to her curtains. "Aguamenti," she said quickly, extinguishing them with a jet of water. She turned to Matthew and grinned. "Well Matt," she said, "You lit something. That's progress." She turned around.

"Perhaps you need more beer to make you less nervous, my dear," she said, grabbing his can and pressing it into his hand. "Don't get drunk mind, your sister'll destroy me limb for limb." Ari pulled her hair back into a ponytail as a precaution. She didn't really want singed hair.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Matthew swore under his breath as he watched the burning curtain, too shocked to actually do anything but watch Ari rush towards them to put out the fire. "Oh my M-Merlin, I'm s-so s-sorry!" He cried, biting his lip as he looked at the curtain, now slightly black.

"Maybe we s-should j-just stop. I don't w-want to s-4et your h-house on fire," he stammered nervously, eyeing the can in his hand warily.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 pm

"If you set my house on fire, Matt, I might have to kill you," Ari told him, smiling. "Here, come on, let's go sit down. I'll order us a pizza."

She led him to the sofa and sat down, bringing her knees up underneath her chin, patting the space next to her. "Do you want to watch a film?" she asked him. "There must be one you like in my extensive collection." She smiled at him. He'd always been nervous, as long as she'd known him, but she had no idea why. He had nothing to be nervous about. He was sweet, and pretty cute as well. And he's Mel's brother, she added, her younger brother.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Matthew smiled slightly at her threat, biting his lip again as he followed her to the couch. He sat down next to her, making sure none of their body parts were touching even though he secretly wanted them to. He wasn't going to admit that though.

He wanted to tell her that he really had to go and didn't want to be a bother, but he didn't because that would be rude. And he kind of didn't want to go either. He found that he really enjoyed Ari's presence, even if she made him incredibly nervous.

"If y-you want to," he told her. "Y-you can pick. I'm f-fine with a-anything."
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:40 am

Ari nudged him with her foot. "Seriously! Go pick a film. Any film. I've seen them all before. I want your choice." She grinned and pushed him forwards.

"I'm not going to talk to you unless you choose," she said with a smile.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am

Matthew nodded and stood up, making his way towards the movies Ari had pointed out. He had absolutely no idea which one to pick, so he just moved his hand over the movies and just grabbed one, careful not to let the others fall. 'Pride and Prejudice, it read.

"This one o-okay?" He asked, holding out the movie for Ari. He hoped he hadn't picked out a lousy film for them to watch.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Ari nodded. "That's a good film." Standing up, she placed it into the DVD player, switching the telly back on, and returned to her seat, grabbing a second beer and pressing play.

"You're getting better at the spell though," she assured him. "Seriously. You just need to be more confident."
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Matthew was quite relieved he hadn't picked out a crap film. He watched as Ari putting it in the DVD player and grabbed herself a second drink. He still hadn't finished his old one, so he didn't require a second one. He brought the can to his mouth and took another sip.

"That a-always s-seems to be the p-pro-problem," he muttered softly, staring at his feet. Confidence. That was something Matthew horribly lacked.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

"You have nothing to worry about, you know," Ari told him with a smile. "You're bright and you're handsome. You're pretty cool, and you're not cocky. That's all pretty attractive." She nudged him with her foot again and turned her attention to the television, taking another sip of her beer.

As the film progressed, she shifted slightly, arm resting on Matthew a little. She glanced up at the clock on the wall, wondering where Liz was. It was getting kind of late. But she knew Liz, and she knew she'd come back some time. Right now, she was enjoying this time with Liz's brother.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 pm

All the compliments made his only just cooled cheeks heat up again, the blush now also spreading to his neck and behind his ears. Luckily the spot behind his ears was covered by his hair. He swallowed and gave her a smile. She didn't mean anything with it, he told herself, she was just being nice. "T-thanks," he replied.

Matthew found himself getting lost in the movie more than he expected. He felt Ari's arm against him, but instead of moving away, he felt himself leaning in slightly. He didn't even notice it.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Ari unconsciously snuggled closer to Matthew as the film progressed and her flat grew colder. He smelled nice, and was comfortable to lean against. His jumper was very soft and he was warm. She was quite content to watch the film here.

Ariadne, she thought to herself warningly. He's your best friend's brother. Her younger brother. She tried to console herself by thinking that she would snuggle into James if he was here. She wasn't sure she'd be thinking he smelt nice though. She wasn't sure she'd snuggle into him at all.

But she was too comfortable to pull away.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm

When Ari snuggled closer to him, Matthew wrapped his arms around her automatically. It wasn't until they were firmly into place he realized what he did. But it was too late to move now. He felt his face heat up again when her hair ticked his nose. It smelled really good, he noted to himself. Wait no, he wasn't supposed to think that. She was his older sisters friend, he wasn't supposed to think about her hair.

He was pretty certain he wasn't supposed to be curled up in the couch with his older sisters friend either. But he was still.

He couldn't stop himself from pressing his nose into her hair though, he wanted to, but he couldn't. It smelled even better when he was closer.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm

His arms were around her, and his face was in her hair. She automatically tilted her head back, smiling. Stop smiling. Stop smiling. The Ari on her other shoulder had an entirely different agenda. Keep smiling. This is cosy.

"Hmm," she mumbled happily, part of her mind screaming at her to stop enjoying this as she pulled herself in even closer. He was seventeen and she was twenty-two. Five years.

Five years isn't that many, she thought to herself as she rested her head on his chest. He smells too nice to let go.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew McKinnon Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Ari titled her head, and then she was resting her head on his chest, and Matthew literally felt hot on the inside. His skin was practically radiating heat now. Instead of pulling away like he probably should, he used his arms around her waist to pull her even closer.

He didn't dare to speak, scared it would break the charm that was around them.

Instead, his fingers started to stroke the skin of her waist absent-mindedly, he didn't even realize it. If he had, he would probably have stopped immediately.
Matthew McKinnon
Matthew McKinnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariadne Ellingham Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Matthew was really bad at trying to put her off. He was stroking her waist and all she wanted to do was stay in this position forever. She had gone past the trying to convince herself that she would rest against James like this, but she couldn't convince herself to let go and Matthew was not helping. She breathed out softly, turning her head into his neck, not even caring about the television any more.

She moved her hand to touch one of his gently as she breathed in the smell of his skin, resting the tip of her nose against his neck, smiling into his jumper.
Ariadne Ellingham
Ariadne Ellingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum